Monday, December 19, 2005

Transit strike looms in New York. If it happens, and all the bus and subway operators walk out, tomorrow will be known as The Day Convenience Died. You won't be able to get into Manhattan without 4 people in your car. There will be areas to pick up extra people if you don't have enough. Taxis can carry multiple people at one time. Otherwise, you have to walk or bike. This all sounds really great, until you remember that 7 million people come into and out of the city every day on public transit. Life is going to suuuuuuck.

The transit worker's union is being ridiculous. They already get paid like $55,000 a year, which is more than most teachers. They get free health care and a pension when they turn 55. Now, I don't know how much training and work it takes to drive a bus or subway, but I can tell you that the only requirement for being a station attendant is surly unhelpfulness.

Now, I'm all for public employees being compensated well and having happy lives, and I wouldn't ask that anyone would reduce their salaries. But the union is now asking for an 8% salary raise over 3 years PLUS a retirement age of 50! 50!!! No one gets to retire then! Anyway, I'm probably just bitter because I don't like to do a lot of walking. Standing is also somewhat inconvenient.

Today my methods class ended. I have to admit that I did learn some useful things in the class. BUT I am still going to insist upon right answers. Somehow that has come to be a controversial position.

I only have one more assignment to complete. Then freedom will ring from the mountaintops and whatnot. All my Christmas presents for others will soon arrive in the mail. Online shopping, by the way, is definitely awesome. Today I spent 45 minutes in line at Express buying a velour sweatshirt for my friend. She wanted it because she had already bought it a couple months ago, then lost it. The point is, waiting in line at Express for 45 minutes is excruciating, especially with LITE104 serenading you. The internet, wave of the future. World wide web. Information superhighway. You know what I'm talking about.

3 Comments:

At December 20, 2005 5:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on insisting on right answers. The worst thing that every happened to education was this Discovery Learning thing. When a kid leaves a math class having discovered 2+2=22, something is wrong. The correct answer is just as important as the methodolgy employed to get it. More often than not, Discovery Learning has been used as an excuse for poor preparation on the teacher's part.

 
At December 20, 2005 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look what the insidious "education" school has done to you. In the world of "education", life continues to sound like a sitcom. You're "still" going to insist on correct answers? That is a punchline akin to "I'm still going to wear clothes to school". Any "educator" (I despise that word; it's a term of desperation from someone who doesn't think that "teacher" is respectable enough) who doesn't ultimately give correct answers is a fool and will frustrate more than encourage young minds.
I'll tell you who doesn't know the correct answers: education "professors".

 
At December 21, 2005 5:56 PM, Blogger Engineer-Poet said...

"Socratic method?  What's that?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home