Thursday, May 25, 2006

Portfolio education

So I have my big portfolio project due for school tomorrow. I'm mostly done. Phoning something in doesn't take that long. The project is basically a compilation of a number of different assignments we had over the course of the year in different classes: a statement of our "philosophy" of social studies education, a resume, some units on history or economics, the social justice action project and a social justice "inquiry brief," the usual suspects. We also have to organize it around a quirky/peppy theme. For example, one person did a wedding theme, with her assignments grouped under subthemes like "dating," "proposing," "wedding planning," etc. Another one from a past year was about an ordinary boy transforming into a popular superhero. One girl in my class did something akin to "Riding the equity bus to the state capitol." (Equity is a really big word these days. I don't know what happened to "equality," but it's out.) Anyway, the portfolio is supposed to signify the changes you go through in the master's program. But it's just so silly. I think back to my undergraduate days and I simply cannot imagine a professor giving such a childish assignment. Can you imagine turning in an academic paper with the title "Peter Parker transforms into Superman"? It's almost insulting. And we get a master's degree for this? I think the program knows how silly it is too, because some of the language they use to describe the project requirements just sound like fancy language trying to cover up for intellectual bankruptcy. Witness:

  • "The portfolio should be integrative, synthetic, and evaluative.
    • Translation: The portfolio should be big word to make me look smart, big word to confirm smartness, big word to blow their minds with the smartness.
  • "The portfolio is not a scrapbook, although it may resemble one, but a new creation which assimilates the diverse aspects of the candidate's experiences during the master's program."
    • Translation: The portfolio is a scrapbook. Get over it.
  • "The portfolio should be organized around a theme which will be set out in an introductory essay explicating and organizing the choice of materials."
    • Translation: Choose a theme. Write an essay on why you chose your theme. Explain the materials you included.
  • Introductory essay: "This essay should indicate the organizing schema governing the selection of the 'artifacts' of the student's teaching 'journey' contained within the portfolio.
    • Translation: Write an essay on why you chose your theme. Explain the materials you included.
  • Curriculum Units: "Please make sure to include content goals and skill goals. For these goals, state concisely why you have chosen to include them in your unit as well as insuring your instructional objectives derive from your unit goals."
    • Here's what JLo would say to this: "Girl, please. You would not know concise if it hit you with a wood cutout of the word 'explicate.'"
    • I called JLo and asked her. She said that's what she would say.
  • Social justice paper: "What role has any of the following played in social studies over the last several decades and how, if at all, do these topics relate to social justice?
--technology
--patriotism
--cognitive pluralism
--notions of self-actualization
--current events
--Supreme Court cases
--Economic opportunity
--Global education
--religion"

Does the inclusion of "self-actualization" mean we can use the book "I'm Ok, You're Ok" as a source? What if using that book would help me realize my full potential?
  • Social justice paper: "Your paper will be a reflection of your shared knowledge, acknowledged here as tentative and embryonic, of these signficant questions around social justice and social studies education."
    • Translation: Your paper will be about what you know and what your classmates know, which is not a lot. Your knowledge is, in fact, similar to a hesitant fetus.
  • Student teaching reflective papers: "What are the norms, practices, rituals, customs, values, power structures, group affiliations, and status systems that define and shape your classroom setting?
    • Well, let's see. We usually start off by sacrificing a goat on the altar of Mammon, cuz he's our favorite god. Then Raquita, who is the Queen Bee of the Nest, leads us through a little blood-letting and some chanting while Michael, affiliated with the school's most elite acapella group, tends the burning incense. Everyone gives a tithe to me, the Dragon Mother, and after that we start the Do Now.

That's all for today. I have to go finish my portfolio.

16 Comments:

At May 25, 2006 6:45 PM, Blogger newoldschoolteacher said...

For the record, I meant "Spiderman," not Superman.

 
At May 29, 2006 8:14 AM, Blogger X said...

That last bit made my day. Thanks.

 
At May 29, 2006 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. Ed schools should be abolished now before they hurt anyone else. I know--I've taught in one for 26 years. But, it's ok, I would survive quite well in a psychology or linguistics department. I only survive now because I do so much outside consulting and have to spend little time around the nonsense and the nonsensical people.

By the way, I assume you have read Rita Kramer's book, Ed School Follies. If not, get it--fine examples similar to the one you have here. For added reinforcement, read Sandra Stotsky's new article about ed schools ("The shame of the nation") in the most recent issue of the journal, Academic Questions.

 
At May 30, 2006 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to stop reading your blog while I'm at work. My co-workers look at me funny after they hear fits of hysterical laughter from my office.

I assigned my high school seniors from an alternative school a portfolio assignment as a requirement for graduation. They had to defend it orally, also. If somebody had turned in a wedding scrapbook I would have kindly but firmly told them to take out the fluff and focus on the content.

Your blog makes me so glad I found other ways to enter the teaching profession. I also feel your pain--but hang in there. Once you get that credential and get settled into a school you can start teaching students and *that's* the fun part.

 
At May 30, 2006 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somedays I think we should have a class titled 'Educationalese as a Second Language'.

 
At June 05, 2006 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in an accelerated one year M.Ed. program and today I received the forerunner to actual portfolio assignment. My prof (a tech guy, not an ed guy) read through the requirements and sort of smirked at 'artifacts'. It was great.

 
At August 08, 2006 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best laugh in many weeks, thanks.

 
At August 13, 2006 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good evening. Working hard, in this busy time for you called. This is my friend and the Boke,just established, the time is not long. The issue here isthat everybody can see my Boke, Ha-ha, raising some visibility, which caused trouble to ask your forgiveness! We all hope to see. Please! 如烟往事博客 记忆深处博客 漠北孤烟博客 天涯无悔博客 月光城市博客 寂寞如烟博客 三国演义博客 江南记忆博客 青海日光博客 月复西斜博客 马帮茶道 雨天下雨博客 秋日私语博客 苍凉世界博客 把酒问天博客 逍遥过客 铿锵玫瑰 寂寞雨夜 乡下孩子博客 天上人间博客 我心飞翔 尘封往事博客 岁月如歌博客 庐山之恋 三间茅屋博客 wanqiudaocao

 
At October 31, 2006 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel obligated to point out that this kind of "Social Justice" programming, in any publicly funded university, and in a good many private ones, is wholly illegal and unconstitutional.

Just an FYI. You want God to fire the people responsible? There is a good chance that you can do the dirty work yourself.

 
At March 07, 2007 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

糖尿病的症状 糖尿病症状 糖尿病饮食 糖尿病治疗 糖尿病常识 糖尿病的饮食 糖尿病并发症 什么是糖尿病 妊娠糖尿病 糖尿病的预防 胰岛素 中国文秘网 中华康网 好狗网 中国肿瘤网 尖锐湿疣治疗 工作总结 述职报告 竞聘演讲 八荣八耻

 
At March 15, 2007 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

中国癌症网 肺癌 胃癌 肝癌 肾癌 食道癌 子宫颈癌 乳腺癌 卵巢癌 直肠癌 结肠癌 皮肤癌 甲状腺癌 胰腺癌 前列腺癌 膀胱癌 骨癌 鼻咽癌 脑瘤

 
At April 19, 2007 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://schoolnerdblog.blogspot.com/

 
At May 08, 2007 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember the priest telling me when I went to Confession when I was a kid, "Well, Lance, it was wrong of you to disobey your mom and talk back to her like that, but since you set the table every night and do your homework and sent your aunt a birthday card, what the heck! You're a good kid. Your sins are forgiven automatically. No need for you to do any penance." 文秘 心脑血管 糖尿病 高血压 高血脂 冠心病 心律失常 心肌病 心肌炎 中风 偏瘫 低血糖 And maybe it's happened a few times and I haven't heard about it but I can't recall a judge ever letting somebody walk on the grounds the crook was a good guy and his friends really like him.

 
At May 12, 2007 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well played. I apreciate your candor, courage, and lack of highhorseocity. This blog is a refreshing read. I got their self-actualization right here, they can come and get it; I'll serve it to them with a tall cool glass of shut the hell up! Peace.

 
At December 15, 2009 3:37 AM, Blogger achrome said...

We through this blog trying to spread the Education in world. As today word is going to more techno shavy and mass is going to be more and more educated. So to spread education or get education one need to go to schools and for this the schools addressso, a list of collection of schools in dwarka http://www.dwarkaguide.com/Dwarka_Schools_Colleges.html dwarka schools list could be bit useful for schools addres search.

 
At May 20, 2010 10:41 PM, Anonymous nisha said...

You got so many points here, that's why i love reading your blog. Thank you so much!

mba india

 

Post a Comment

<< Home